Export Control: Training
To assist in guiding you through Export Control regulations and determining applicability and license requirements, the Export Control Office offers several training and educational tools to help the campus.
Individual or Group Training
The Export Control office provides one-on-one consultations, trainings, and informational materials for campus. We can also host informational sessions for your department, lab, or group. To schedule an individual or group session, please contact the Export Control Office.
UC Berkeley offers export control training through the online Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) program. The following modules are available to the University community.
- Introduction to Export Compliance
- Export Compliance When Using Technology in Research
- Export Compliance and Distance Education
- Export Compliance for Researchers: Part I
- Export Compliance for Researchers: Part II
- Export Compliance for Research Administrators
- Export Compliance and Biosafety
- Export Compliance for Operational Departments
- Export Compliance for International Shipping
- Export Compliance and Purchasing
- Export Compliance and International and Foreign Waters
- Export Compliance and Collaborations
- Export Compliance and United States Sanctions Programs
To access the course, follow these steps:
- Go to CITI.
- Go to the login page, select “Log In Through My Organization,” then select “University of California, Berkeley.”
- Use your CalNet ID and passphrase.
- Complete Registration Questions 1-8 as follows:
- Will you be engaged in human subjects research? No
- Will you be using vertebrate animals in research or teaching? No
- Are you supported by NSF, USDA/NFIA or NIH Funding? No
- Would you like to take the Conflicts of Interest course? No
- Please make the appropriate selection if you are required to complete the Good Clinical Practice course. Not at this time
- COVID-19: Back to Campus Remote Contact Tracing and Participating in Vaccine Research. No, I do not wish to access
- If you would like to register for the Export Compliance course, please select the appropriate option below. Export Controls
- Would you like to take the Stem Cell Research Oversight Course? Not at this time
- Click submit. The course list page will appear.
- Each module is marked completed after passing a five-question quiz with a score of 80%. The quiz can be taken more than once and is not timed.
Visual Compliance for Restricted Party Screening
UC Berkeley uses Restricted Party Screening (RPS), escalation, and export license reviews to ensure compliance with federal export control regulations. A restricted party screening involves a review of these lists to ensure that the person or entity with whom you are interacting is not on one of these lists. The University has a site license to software which provides easy-to-use screening for denied parties. See Using Visual Compliance for Restricted Party Screening for training.
The U.S. Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) has created an on-line training room which consists of free videos, training modules, and archived webinars. These videos and modules should not be a substitute for consulting the Export Control Office about a campus export control issue.
On this page
Export Control Index
- Export Control
- Restricted Party Screening
- Controlled Technologies Lists
- Export Controlled or Embargoed Countries, Entities, and Persons
- Technology, Technical Data, and Software
- Technology Control Plan
- Frequently Asked Questions