Other Support and Foreign Influences
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Below is a summary of specific NASA guidance related to the reporting of current and pending support from domestic and foreign sources. Please Note:
- PIs, Co-PIs, and Co-Is have different reporting requirements.
- NASA is particularly interested in being notified about support received from Chinese universities and other similar institutions or a Chinese-owned company at the prime recipient level and at all subrecipient levels.
NASA requires full disclosure of current and pending support except for contract proposals. This includes engagement with and support from domestic and foreign sources. The 2021 NASA Guidebook for Proposers indicates that PIs and Co-PIs are required to provide all ongoing and pending projects and proposals (regardless of salary support) in which they are performing or will perform any part of the work. Co-Is proposing to spend 10% or more of their time in any given year to the proposed effort shall provide a list of ongoing and pending projects and proposals (regardless of salary support) that require more than 10% of their time in any given year. Proposals do not need to include the current proposal on the list of pending proposals unless it has been submitted in response to another funding opportunity (i.e., NASA or another sponsor).
PIs and Co-PIs also must list their current and pending support with Chinese universities and other similar institutions or a Chinese-owned company at the prime recipient level and at all subrecipient levels, whether the bilateral involvement is funded or performed under a no-exchange of funds arrangement. For those investigators for whom it is required, the proposal shall provide the following information for each current and pending project:
- Title of funded project or proposal title
- Name of PI on award or proposal;
- Program name (if appropriate) and sponsoring agency or organization, including a point of contact with their telephone number and email address
- Performance period;
- Total amount proposed (if pending) or received by that PI (including indirect costs) for that award or the amount per year if uniform (e.g., $50k/year); and
- Time commitment by the PI for each year of the period of performance.
The proposing PI shall notify the NASA Program Officer identified in the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) immediately of any successful proposals that are awarded for substantially overlapping work as proposed to NASA, any time after the proposal due date and until the announcement of NASA’s selections.
Current and pending support is not required for Co-Is at non-U.S. institutions. Current and pending support is usually not required for students, but it may be requested, depending on the requirements of the NOFO.
Note that NASA proposals for other types of awards may have other requirements; please carefully review your program solicitation and direct any questions to the SPO CGO assigned to your unit.
Return to the main Other Support and Foreign Influences page.