International Connections and Foreign Influences
Department of Defense (DOD)
Below is a summary of specific DOD guidance related to foreign influence and reporting obligations.
DOD Notices of Funding Opportunities (NFOs) pertaining to research and research-related educational activities require proposers to submit the following information for all key personnel in the Senior Key Person Profile whether or not the individuals’ efforts under the project are to be funded by the DOD:
- A list of all current projects the individual is working on, in addition to any future support the individual has applied to receive, regardless of the source.
- Title and objectives of the other research projects.
- The percentage per year to be devoted to the other projects.
- The total amount of support the individual is receiving in connection to each of the other research projects or will receive if other proposals are awarded.
- Name and address of the agencies and/or other parties supporting the other research projects.
- Period of performance for the other research projects.
This information will be used to support protection of intellectual property, controlled information, key personnel, and information about critical technologies relevant to national security. Additionally, this information will be used to limit undue influence, including foreign talent programs, by countries that desire to exploit United States’ technology within the DOD research, science and technology, and innovation enterprise.
Note: This requirement applies only to DOD instruments supporting research and research-related educational activities. For all other types of grants, the capture of the above information is optional.
Return to the main International Connections and Foreign Influences page.